There are lots of September activities you should consider taking part in! Some are hosted by the GES and some by the Society of Graduate Students. Check out the SOGS website at http://sogs.ca/orientation/ for lots of useful information including the 2018-19 Graduate Orientation Handbook.
GES Grad Buddies: All incoming students in our department are paired with a returning PhD student Grad Buddy who should be contacting you before the start of term. Their job is to help make you feel welcome! Feel free to ask them all your questions about London, Western, the department, grad school, or pretty much anything really!
GES Grad Buddy Welcome Event: Tuesday September 4th, 2:00 pm, The Grad Club
Immediately following the department orientation, we will be taking everyone on a tour of the campus which will finish at The Grad Club! Woot! Once we’re there, you’ll have the opportunity to meet up with your Grad Buddy and socialize with your new cohort and the other members of the department!
GES Bonfire Night: Saturday September 8th, 7-11 p.m., 65 Riverside Drive
Join the GES for a backyard bonfire night to help kick off the new semester! BYOB and snacks to share! Everyone is welcome! Feel free bring significant others! Bus routes from Western: 2 and 102, and just a short walk from downtown buses
RSVP through the GES Facebook group or by emailing Jackie Reed (email@example.com).
The Ground and the Fury: Thursdays 11:30-1:30 (subject to change), The GES Lounge (UC 1420)
This is our weekly coffee/social break! It’s a super informal chance to get caffeinated and catch up with other grad students in the department. Stay tuned to the Facebook group where we’ll post the date that this event will resume in our brand, new GES lounge in our new home in University College!
SOGS Orientation Events! Monday September 10-Friday September 14
These events are put on by the Society of Graduate Students, which means they’re a great opportunity for you and your English department colleagues to meet grad students from other departments! The full schedule is here: http://sogs.ca/orientation/#schedule but to help keep all the info in one place for you, here’s a recap:
- Family BBQ (5:00-7:00pm @ the Grad Club). $5 for adults and free for children under 12. Includes: hamburger/hot dog (veggie option), fries, veggies, games, and prizes! Tickets will go on sale in August.
- Stitch & Bitch (7pm @ the Grad Club). FREE. Come out and craft with us! Refreshments provided.
- International Grad Meet & Greet (3:00-5:00pm @ the Grad Club). FREE. Register on the SOGS website. Refreshments provided. Prizes to be won!
- Trivia Night (7:30pm @ the Grad Club). FREE! Prizes to be won.
- Welcome to YOUR Grad Club (3:00-6:00pm @ the Grad Club). FREE. Grad Student Associations/Councils (President, Chair, Rep) sign up HERE. Refreshments provided; games and prizes to be won!
- Board Game Night (7:00pm @ the Grad Club). FREE. Appetizers, drink special, and games galore!
- Amazing Race: SOGS Edition (1:30-3:30pm starting @ the Grad Club). FREE. Register on the SOGS website. Winning teams: 1) $200 Grad Club certificate 2) $150 Grad Club certificate 3) $100 Grad Club certificate. ALL participants (except winners) receive $5 Grad Club certificate.
- IGSIC Goes to Global Cafe (3:00-5:00pm in the IGAB Atrium). FREE. The International Graduate Student Issues Committee (IGSIC) attends and sponsors the IESC’s Global Cafe to welcome and connect with incoming and returning international graduate students. Trivia Contest to win prizes!
- Know Your Union (PSAC 610) (5:00-7:00-pm @ the Grad Club). FREE. Come out and enjoy appetizers and refreshments so you can get to know your Graduate Student Union!
- Bonfire Night (8:00pm @ the Grad Club). $5. Ticket includes moving screening (Shrek), popcorn, s’more making, hot dog, and corn on the cob. Prizes to be won! Tickets will go on sale in August.
- Indigenous Graduate Student Meet & Greet (12:30-3:00pm). FREE. Lunch at Indigenous Services to welcome you to the space and then a Tour of the SOGS Office (Middlesex College, Room 8) and the Grad Club! Register on the SOGS website.
- SOGS 50th Anniversary Party (8:30pm @ the Grad Club). $5. Ticket includes pub food, drink ticket, and prizes! Tickets will go on sale in August.
Your friendly GES executive members will set up times and places (probably our GES Lounge) where we can all meet prior to these events and head over to them together. More to come about this from our amazing Social Coordinators, Jackie Reed and Jeremy Johnston